Eschmeyer’s Catalog of Fishes is the authoritative reference for taxonomic fish names, featuring a searchable on-line database. This series serves to provide the most up-to-date taxonomic treatment of the families of recent fishes.
GBIF—the Global Biodiversity Information Facility—is an international network and data infrastructure funded by the world’s governments and aimed at providing anyone, anywhere, open access to data about all types of life on Earth.
Checklist of the freshwater fishes of Colombia. The present work is part of a process to create a Catalogue of the Freshwater Fishes of Colombia and consisted in the depuration and updating of the taxonomic and geographic components of the checklist of the freshwater fishes of Colombia.
An exhaustive revision of the 1435 species recorded in 2008 was necessary to:
- Add new species described since 2009 and species originally described from Colombia but inadvertently omitted in 2008;
- Add new records of already described species;
- Delete species whose presence in Colombia was not supported by voucher specimens in ichthyological collections; and
- Revise the geographic distribution of the species listed in 2008.
This process resulted in the following numbers:
- Total number of freshwater fish species in Colombia: 1494;
- Number of species recorded by hydrographic region – Amazon: 706, Orinoco: 663, Caribbean: 223, Magdalena-Cauca: 220, Pacific: 130; and
- Number of endemic species: 374 (76% from the trans-Andean region).